This year will be our 15th GSO! We use this event for two main purposes: it is a giant party for the Group and it also raises much-needed funds in the process that are used entirely by our group to further enhance our members’ experience in Scouting. Examples of where we spend the money raised include: camping equipment, indoor and outdoor activity equipment, upgrades to the hall infrastructure, games equipment etc. This crucial fundraising activity supports the quality and diversity of experiences we provide for our members, of which we are rightly proud.
So what is happening?
- Fun! Fun! Fun! The activities planned include Total Wipeout, Bouncy Castle, Mega Slide, Pillow Bash, Sumo, Tug of War, Human Table Football, Sports Challenges and more to be confirmed. The aim is to have as much fun as possible!
- We will use the event to raise group funds, via sponsorship forms given to our Members
- We will offer prizes for the most money raised by individuals on return of money collected
- All members who participate will be entered into a raffle for a chance to win additional prizes, so anyone who takes part can win!
- As always, all our members (Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Explorers and Leaders) are invited to the Giant Sleepover. Beavers and Cubs will sleep indoors in one of the halls, Scouts on the grass and Explorers and Leaders anywhere else they can find! Many of the Leaders will be staying awake to provide supervision overnight
- We will feed everyone dinner and breakfast
- All participating members will receive our own specially designed GSO badge
- We will need parent help to make the event a success so please look out for our email request nearer the time
KIT – Non-Uniform. Sleeping bag and mat, toothbrush and paste and sleeping attire (nothing else needed!)
LOGISTICS – Your child should register at the Hall on Saturday at 2pm, bringing their kit & sponsor form. We will record the amount they are raising. After the various activities, everyone will stay overnight at the hall and will leave at 10am on Sunday morning after breakfast. We will return the sponsor form (where necessary) prior to departure to enable any outstanding money to be collected. Please could money and forms be returned to the Section Leaders as soon after the event as possible or alternatively your child can bring it all on the day. Most people found it easier to collect the money prior to the event and bring it with them on the day, as it is very close to the summer holidays and this really, really helps us logistically.
To cover costs, each member attending needs to raise a minimum £20 in order to attend. As this is our only sponsored event of the year, we hope that many will raise more than this and we could beat 2017 if everyone puts in a huge effort! We are hoping that this year the event continues to be a huge success. A total of 141 young members took part last year, raising over £8,013 after Gift Aid! We are incredibly proud of the fundraising efforts made by our members. The highest individual amount raised last year was a magnificent £305!
Please respond to the OSM invite from the relevant section BY FRIDAY 8TH JUNE to let us know if your child will be attending or not. Going by previous years, we will have the vast majority of the Group taking part.
Historically, companies have kindly sponsored part of the event, e.g. food or the cost of an inflatable. We would be delighted to hear from anyone who has any suggestions or indeed any contacts willing to offer sponsorship this year. This is also the case for anyone who wishes to offer prizes.
If you have any queries please email the Group account email@example.com or speak to your child’s Section Leader.
Yours in Scouting,
The Leader Team