This year will be our 14th GSO! We use this event with 2 main purposes, firstly to give our members a really fun experience and secondly to raise much needed funding, which is used entirely by our group to further enhance our members experience in Scouting. Examples of where we use the money include (but are not limited to); camping equipment, indoor and outdoor activity equipment, upgrades to the hall infrastructure, games equipment and so on. This crucial Fundraising activity supports the quality and diversity of experience we provide for our members, of which we are rightly proud.
So, what is happening?
- We will use the event to raise group funds, via sponsorship forms given to our Members.
- We will offer prizes for the most money raised by individuals (on return of money collected) and there will be a number of prizes this year where all participants will be entered into a raffle, so anyone who takes part can win!
- It will run from 2pm on Saturday and will finish at 10am on Sunday.
- As usual, all our members (Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Explorers & Leaders) will be invited to the sleepover. Beavers, Cubs and Scouts will sleep in one of our halls, the Explorers will have their usual ‘all night’ Fire and many of the Leaders will be staying awake to provide supervision overnight (Nowhere else to sleep!)
- We will feed everyone with Dinner (on the hoof) and Breakfast.
- All participants will receive a GSO badge (our own design).
- Activities are planned to include Bungee Run, Bouncy Castle, Large Assault Course, MEGA Slide, Rodeo Bull, Sports Challenges & much more to be confirmed. The aim is for all to have as much fun as possible!
- We will need Parent Help to make the event a success so please refer to separate email nearer the time.
Kit – Non-Uniform, Sleeping Bag & Mat, Toothbrush & Paste, Sleeping Attire. (Nothing else needed – Simples!).
Logistics – Your child should register at the Hall on Saturday 17th June at 2pm, bringing their Kit & Sponsor Form. We will log the amount they are raising. After the various activities everyone will stay overnight at the Hall and will be due to leave at 10am on Sunday morning after breakfast. We will return the Sponsor Form (where necessary) prior to departure to enable any outstanding money to be collected. Money and forms are to be returned to the Section Leader as soon after the event as possible or your child can bring it all on the day. Each Member attending needs to raise a minimum £20 in order to attend. This covers costs and raises a little extra. The hope is that many will raise more than this.
Last year the highest individual amount raised was a magnificent £233! The event was a massive success. 163 young members took part, raising over £7,450 after Gift Aid!
This is our ONLY sponsored event of the year and we could beat 2016 if everyone puts in a huge effort! Most people found it easier to collect the money prior to the event and bring it with them on the day – bearing in mind it is very close to the summer holidays, this really really helps us.
Please respond to the OSM invite from the relevant section to let us know if your child will be attending or not. Going by previous years we will have the vast majority of the Group taking part. It is like a Giant Party for the Group and we get to raise funds in the process!
Please let us know by Friday 9th June so we can plan for expected numbers.
In previous years we have had companies offering to sponsor part of the event, e.g. The Food for the event or the cost of one of the Inflatables. We would be more than happy to hear from anyone who has any suggestions or indeed any contacts who may be willing to offer sponsorship. This is also the case for anyone who wishes to supply possible prizes.
If you have any queries please email the group account email@example.com or speak to your child’s Section Leader.
Need a replacement or better still an additional sponsor form? Download it here.